Thursday, February 10, 2011

Wk 2-Comment to Scott

Scott's post:
I loved the Zander video, he is helping us see that small changes in the way we look at familiar areas of our life (like the familiar strains of Chopin) from a slightly different perspective can lead to a wholly unique viewpoint.
In Chapter 1, the Zanders direct us to question the framework and the underlying assumptions of our environment. One important way I like to question the assumptions around me is to create a process flow diagram of the process in question. Prior to joining a media production team, I was a business process consultant to several companies, hired to look at a particular process, document it and then work with those involved to improve the process. I have taken this skillset to just about every aspect of my life. By critically documenting and analyzing a process, looking for areas of improvement and working to create those improvements our framework for a particular business process is constantly examined.
I completely agree with the thought of a world of measurements. If we don't measure it, we won't try to perform up to that measure. It's only the most important decision you can make...What to measure? I think this is the point to this chapter. Not only do we have to measure our world, but we must also make good decisions on what we are going to measure. I have attempted to come up with those "right" measurements for my life, not measures that always matter to the rest of the world, but correct metrics for me. My metrics typically revolve around church (involvement, attendance, leadership), family (provision, shelter, friends) and work (adding value to customer, improvement).
Dear Mr. B,
I received my grade of A because I worked hard and during my time in the EMDT program at FullSail and within the media production department at OfficeMax. It was at this time that an idea began to form in my mind. I began the formation of a production company and business plan to support that company. My idea was to utilize my media production resources and skills to help other small businesses in their growth goals. I have applied and received a small business grant from the federal government in the formation of this company, in support of the Small Business Administration. This decision has taken hold in both my church and work life. I have taken the AR project forward, extending it's reach throughout the youth group and adult membership. We are even in preliminary talks with the church-wide offices to push this project beyond Yorkville's boundaries. Thanks for the "kick in the pants" I needed...
As I have mentioned previously, my family is very involved in our church's youth group. This is where I am a contribution. The unfortunate fact is that there are a lot of teenaged kids dealing with all sorts of today's issues. In my small way I really enjoy helping them through these issues, especially through my actions. Hopefully by simply living my life , working hard, showing leadership at church and providing for my family, and extending my family beyond blood bonds, I can affect one or two of these young men's lives. Recently this came to a small token of fruition, one young man, dealing with an issue with a girlfriend issue, came to me the other night and we spent 3 hours simply talking. When he walked out of here, a confused young man had a clearer direction and a path that included "owning up" to his problems while steering his girlfriend down a better path. I feel that I may have contributed favorably to this young man's life and will continue to be in his life.



My comment:
I like your letter to Mr. B. :)
Thank you for your contribution to young people in the world today. I have a quote hanging in my classroom that says, "A child may never remember what you said, but they will remember how you made them feel." Our young people want to know that what they feel matters. They want to know that someone loves them enough to listen and that what they have to say is important. Thank you for taking the time to listen to these kids. Thanks for stepping into the universe of possibility and giving compassion and having passion for people in order that they may feel joy and grace and awe.
Bless you!

1 comment:

  1. Diane- I live by these rules as a teacher

    1) Don't be the Worst Teacher, Don't Be the Best Teacher, Be The Teacher Who Tried ( I can keep trying, if I am the best, I lose sight of evolving)

    2) Never be the teacher that a child learns to hate school because of

    3) I treat my students the way I WANT a teacher to treat my son and daughter- with love respect and dignity...

    ReplyDelete