Friday, February 4, 2011

Wk 1-Entry 1-EDM613-Copyright Issues

Copyright....the word itself can be scary. As a teacher, I have always tried to teach my students what is correct when citing sources. In addition, I have always tried to follow those guidelines myself. After all the videos this week, I don't know if I have a better understanding, or if I am even more confused.

As a singer/songwriter...so much for mailing yourself the lyrics or music. That is what I was always told by family and friends. In one of the videos Nathan, with Expert Village, said, "get visual proof". So, I'm guessing you need to film yourself singing and send it to yourself. lol

"Good Copy/Bad Copy" reminded me of all the guys you see at the local flea market selling illegal movies. You see them getting busted one week, then two weeks later they are right back at it. I am beginning to think it is all about the money with the law enforcement. Lawrence Lessig with Creative Commons spoke of the cost associated with copyright and how it "inhibits" creativity. I believe this to be true. People become afraid that others will steal their ideas or work because they can't afford to have it copyrighted, so they don't create to the fullest potential knowing their funds are limited. Yet, an individual may have the lyrics and music for a number one song in mind or an invention that could change the way we do something. But, it merely stays in the mind and is never fully developed.

1 comment:

  1. Great summary and observations. I definitely remember the poor-guy's copyright method of mailing a cassette of songs as a form of "proof of authorship." Ah the good ol' pre-Internet days.

    ReplyDelete