Friday, February 4, 2011

Wk 1-Entry 3-Comment to Bryan Antos

Bryan's Post:
Every day I work, I create video for my company that is seen by millions of people. But that video is protected by copyright that my company owns. I cannot post my work on youtube or anywhere. And that's a personal problem as I want as many people as possible to see my work. At the very least, I want my friends to be able to see it.

Additionally, not every piece is saved by my company. The best thing I ever produced (and was copied by Nike and NBA Productions, poorly, except for getting Marvin Gaye's version of the National Anthem, which is awesome) is gone forever. That is sort of devastating to me.

I understand the point of copyright but there will always be pirating. The trick is to embrace the new techniques and create a legal version of that. 5 years ago I suggested making shows available for download and I got laughed at. Every single person laughed at the idea. And now it's one of the biggest priorities of the company.

You just have to wait for the younger generation to get in there and try and change these laws. Like I said in a comment, the musical genius of an album like Paul's Boutique cannot really happen nowadays. That needs to change.

But you really have to give the law some credit. Being able to use any copyrighted work for parody or education is great.



My Comment:
Bryan, I can sense your frustration, and I understand why you would feel this way. I agree with Catherine. It looks as if your company would let you create some type of portfolio, and I can't believe that some of your creations are forever lost. Even though you work for them, it just seems as if you would have some rights as well. Also, it's too bad your company shot down your ideas.Now that this idea seems to be the biggest in the company, do you wish you would have been more persistent initially? Sometimes we give up too easily. (I'm not saying you did...just asking.)

No comments:

Post a Comment